artwork specifications and design tips
Advertisements should be supplied
Files should be:
• JPG/TIFF files 300dpi. Please note, due to rasterisation this format may result in slightly lower quality reproduction than a PDF
• Correct size as booked, NO bleed (unless back cover), NO crop marks
• Correct type as booked ie Mono (greyscale) or CMYK Colour. Please set any spot colours to separate to CMYK. See ink limits below.
• We may request a fax printout of final artwork for verification
RealTime is printed on uncoated 55gsm paper stock using cold set (web offset) printing. The cover is printed on Sappigloss 104gsm.
The following are essential:*
We suggest using US Web (SWOP) Uncoated Colour Profile then manually adjusting ink densities to 215% - see tips on Colour Correcting below
Colours may also appear different on your screen to how they will print in CMYK inks on newstock. To get a more accurate impression use US Web (SWOP) Uncoated Colour Profile in your editing programs (including Acrobat see Colour Correcting below).
* For ads booked on Back Cover / Inside Front Cover / Inside Back Cover, the ink limit is 280%, as this is printed on coated stock. (Use US Web (SWOP) Coated profile and manually adjust to 280% - see Colour Correcting below.)
• FONT SIZES (no smaller than 12pt bold in reverse)
NB: If it is unavoidable to use below 12pt you must add a 0.5pt black outline to the fonts in reverse to assist with maintaining registration.
We suggest that for best results:
An instructional video to assist designers of ad artwork to colour correct images back to 215-220% CMYK ink saturation.
If this is beyond your skill level feel free to contact Gail (02 9810 7818) and she can assist with this process.
To get a more accurate sense of how your colours will print in CMYK inks on newstock, it is suggested that you use the US Web (SWOP) Uncoated Colour Profile* in your layout and editing programs. (Photoshop & InDesign go to >Edit>Colour Settings - choose from drop down menu; Acrobat go to Preferences>Colour Management)
In particular it's important to use this in Photoshop to convert your image to CMYK, before placing in your document. (If image is already CMYK - convert to RGB then back to CMYK for the colour setting to take effect.) You must then manually adjust the ink limits to 215% using either levels or curves. As each image is different there are no easy rules for colour correcting however using a mix between overall lightening (using an s-curve will keep contrast clear), and then individually adjusting the C, Y, M, K curves offers the best results.
* For ads on Back Cover, Inside Front and Back Covers use US Web (SWOP) Coated profile and manually adjust to 280% CMYK
Please feel free to discuss your design ideas with us or send draft ads for assessment with us prior to placement.
For more information